Smoking tobacco can cause serious health problems. It can also affect the appearance and health of your mouth and gums.
Tobacco damage your gum tissue and expose the tooth roots. Other side effects include:
- Nicotine addiction
- Reduced sense of smell and taste
- Bad breath, stained teeth and recession of the gum line
- Accumulation of tartar (calculus) and plaque
- Increased sensitivity to hot and cold
- Longer recovery times from dental work
- Increased heart rate and heart complications
- Possible breathing difficulties and/or a "smoker's cough"
- Smoking can increase the risk of getting cancers of the mouth, throat, and other parts of the body.
By butting out for good, you can dramatically reduce your chance of developing serious conditions and complications. Get help today!
To learn more, check out CDA’s Position Statement on Tobacco Products, Smoking Cannabis and Vaping.
If you are a smoker or know someone who does, achieving bright, healthy smile is possible by quitting and getting a dental cleaning to restore whiteness and improve oral health. Find a dentist today .