Co-developed by the Canadian Dental Association and clinician members of the Canadian Society for Disability and Oral Health, the Dental Treatment Case Complexity Form and Recommendations is an assessment tool to help dentists and the dental team in making referral decisions when seeing persons with special health care needs. The tool is also intended to:
- demonstrate case complexity of patients with special health care needs; and
- help determine a practitioner’s comfort-level, based on existing knowledge, experience and/or physical clinical space, to provide treatment or make modifications to treatment for patients with special health care needs.
How it works
The tool enables a dental practitioner to assign a level of complexity to an individual, which helps both the practitioner and caregiver better understand the factors that can contribute to the patient’s dental treatment needs.
There are three levels of case complexity: routine (green), moderate (yellow) and complex (red). Categorization is based on many factors for each patient. It identifies potential barriers for dental care for persons with special health care needs, and for the practitioner, makes case selection for persons with special health care needs more efficient and consistent to document.
This assessment tool is not intended to evaluate specific oral health conditions or emergency oral health treatment options.
For more information about the tool and how to use it, please watch this video featuring Dr. Timucin Ari, a certified specialist in pediatric dentistry.
Download the tool
- Dental Treatment Case Complexity Form and Recommendations (For new or first-time users)
This is the complete version of the case complexity assessment tool, which includes background on CDA’s priority of caring for persons with special health care needs, the purpose of the assessment form, recommendations for use and the fillable case complexity assessment form.
- Stand-alone case complexity form only (For regular users)
- Other online oral health care tools and resources: Caring for persons with Autism Spectrum Disorder, Alzheimer’s and Dementia
- Brochures: Getting Started - Tips for Parents, Caregivers and the Dental Team
- CDA Oasis Blog Post: Case Complexity Assessment Tool – A Tool to Help Dentists with Referral Decisions
- Hospital Guide: Basic Dental Equipment List & Instrument Reprocessing Logistics for Hospital Operating Rooms
- Report: The State of Oral Health in Canada: Vulnerable Canadians and the need for targeted oral health programs