To allow the November 2020 DAT in to be offered in the safest possible way, the Canadian Dental Association has contracted the delivery of the exam to Prometric. The network of test centers operated by Prometric allows the DAT to be offered to multiple small groups in settings that allow for physical distancing and meet all currently applicable public health requirements.
It is important that you watch this video which outlines what to expect on Test Day at the Prometric Test Center:
You will be asked to store all items, including wallets, watches, cell phones in a storage locker. It is best that you leave all unnecessary items at home or in the car.
The following rules will be observed at all test centres administering the DAT.
You must comply with all laws, regulations and governmental orders and guidelines that are applicable to COVID at the location in which you will complete the test, whether these be federal, provincial, municipal or otherwise, and further agree to abide by all testing centre policies and rules the day of the exam.
Testing Centre Policies
You must read and understand the Prometric Test Center Policies here (be sure to also visit this website closer to your exam date for updates).
Of particular importance, prior to entering the test center building, you are required to do the following:
- Bring and wear a mask during the entirety of your time at the test center or your exam will be terminated. Both medical masks and cloth face coverings are acceptable. Masks with exhale/one-way valves are prohibited to use at the testing center, due to the lack of viral particle filtration provided by these masks. Any test taker that comes to the test center without a mask will be denied access to the DAT testing facility, marked as a 'no show', and will not be eligible for a free reschedule.
- Comply with any other local or federal mandates and guidelines.
- Distancing guidelines: Follow Prometric social distancing policies, as well as procedural modifications that candidates are expected to follow while at the test center.
- Note: if you fall into any of the following categories on the day of the exam, you will not be permitted to test until you no longer fit the criteria:
- Have been diagnosed with COVID-19 within the 14-day period before your scheduled exam date;
- Have been exposed to someone diagnosed with COVID-19 within the 14-day period before your scheduled exam date;
- Are experiencing flu or cold-like symptoms on the day of the exam or within the 14-day period before your scheduled exam date; OR
- Have returned from travel to a highly infected area within the 14-day period before your scheduled exam date.
Prometric has also provided the following COVID-19 Strategies resource to assist candidates (provides the most current information on Prometric's operation status and safety measures).
Note: Once DAT applicants enter the examination room, they become DAT candidates.
You MUST arrive at your scheduled Test Center 30 minutes before your scheduled appointment time. This will give you adequate time to complete the necessary sign-in procedures. You will NOT be admitted to write the exam after your scheduled exam time.
- Candidates arriving after the reporting time will not be allowed to participate in the examination and will have to re-register for the next scheduled DAT. DAT fees are not refundable or transferable.
- You will be provided with all the necessary materials to be used during the DAT exam.
- Pencils, markers, rulers that are not provided by the DAT Administrator are not permitted during the DAT.
- You may use your booklet paper as scrap paper.
- To ensure candidates complete the exam within the allotted amount of time, all answers must be recorded on the answer sheet to be graded and not in the test booklet.
- Candidates are required to take the complete examination, from beginning to end, and cannot leave the exam earlier before it is finished. A score of zero will be reported for a submitted blank answer sheet. Applicants unable to complete the full exam are required to submit a new registration form and fee to participate in any subsequent testing period.
- No test material or miscellaneous notes are to be taken from the examination room. Candidates are not permitted to tear pages out of the test booklets for any reason.
- The test booklet is the property of CDA and must be returned. The booklet is numbered for security purposes. If a test booklet is missing, the scores of the candidate assigned the missing numbered booklet will be voided.
There are no scheduled breaks during the exam. Please plan accordingly. If you require a bathroom break, or other break, it will be possible only during the official exam time.
No water or food is permitted in the exam room. You will be asked to leave these in a locker and will not have access to them during the exam.
What to Bring
You will need the following to be admitted to the test:
Two pieces of government-issued identification bearing your signature; one piece of identification must also include your photo. Only the government-issued identification cards listed here will be accepted for photo ID:
- Driver's licence
- Citizenship card
- Provincial health card
- Certificate of Indian Status
What not to Bring
Items brought to the testing center are susceptible to theft and also may be misplaced. Do not bring valuables as you will be asked to leave them in an area of the testing center out of your reach and sight.
In the event of an emergency, you may be required to immediately vacate the room, and you may need to leave your belongings behind.
Invigilators are not responsible for personal items brought into the testing center . Items brought into the testing center are brought at your own risk.
Test centre supervisors and the Canadian Dental Association are NOT responsible for test takers' personal belongings.
The only items allowed on your desktop in the testing room during the DAT exam are:
- Photo Identification
- Center-provided tissues
- Center-provided pencils
Beverage and snack are NOT permitted on the desktop.
If you access anything else on your desktop without permission your test may be invalidated. If you access, check, or turn on your cell phone at any time during your test session your test may be invalidated.
Under no circumstances can test takers access their belongings, including prohibited devices, during the DAT. Please limit what you bring to the test and do not bring valuables.
These items are NOT permitted on your desktop and must be kept stored away at the designated storage area, or better yet not brought at all.
Prohibited electronic items include but are not limited to:
- Electronic timers of any kind
- Electronic cigarettes
- Fitness tracking devices
- All watches (including analog watches, digital watches, alarm watches, beeping watches, calculator watches)
- Cell phones, pay phones, beepers, pagers, personal digital assistants (PDAs)
- Personal computers
- Photographic or recording devices
- Listening devices
- Headsets, iPods, or other media players
Prohibited non-electronic items include but are not limited to:
- Books, dictionaries, papers of any kind
- Mechanical pencils
- Mechanical erasers or erasers with sleeves
- Ink pens or felt-tip markers
- Briefcases, handbags, backpacks of any kind
- Hats/hoods (except religious apparel) may not be worn on the head
If you need to access food, water, or medication, make sure to remove the item from any bag, purse, or backpack you may have brought to the Testing Centre. The bag MUST remain in the designated storage area at all times.
*If you need to make an urgent communication, you must check with the test administrator and explain the circumstances why you need to do so, and must do so in his/ her presence.
During the Exam
- Candidates are responsible for protecting the integrity of their answers. If cheating is detected during the examination, those involved, whether they are the copiers or those copied from, will have their test scores voided.
- Ensure that you identify yourself on the DAT answer sheets, by verifying your name, student identification number, and signing your DAT answer sheets.
- Read all the instructions on the test booklets before asking a test invigilator for clarification.
- You may not be permitted to leave the testing room during the DAT examination.
- If an emergency alarm sounds, follow verbal instructions. If you are told to vacate the room, leave your test on the desk.
- Follow the instructions of those in charge at your DAT test centre. You must remain quiet at all times. Discussing the DAT questions or consulting another student's notes during this time can result in the voiding of your DAT.
- When the test is over, put down your pencil and follow the instructions about the collection of tests.
Completing the DAT answer sheets
It is the applicant's responsibility to indicate his or her proper DAT ID number on each section of the exam. DAT identification numbers, DAT test centre numbers and your answers must be clearly entered on your DAT answer sheet. The DAT office will not transcribe any answers or corrections on your DAT answer sheet under any circumstances. This is entirely your responsibility and must be done within the time allocated during the examination.
- Mark 1 and only 1 answer choice to each question.
- Be sure to completely fill in the space intended for your answer choice.
- If you mark the incorrect space, please ensure that it is properly erased.
Leaving the exam
You may not be permitted to leave the testing room in the last 10 minutes of scheduled test time so that the collection of DAT answer sheets can be controlled. Do not leave without handing in your test. Taking a test – even a blank one – from the testing room could result in the voiding of your DAT scores.